Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Old Skool Music

I just felt I had to comment on the fact that I spent this evening listening to music from back when I was in my late elementary school/early high school years. It's kind of neat to hear how music, and my own individual tastes have changed in the 11 (?) years since I was in grade 6 till now. Songs like Butterfly by Crazy Town, What's Your Fantasy by Ludacris, Fill Me In by Craig David, songs by The Calling, The Hamster Dance, and some of the old country music I liked, songs by Deanna Carter, Jessica Andrews, Adam Gregory, JoDee Messina, Toby Keith, Keith Urban etc.

Now, I find myself, depending on the time of the year, drifting between listening to hip/hop and rock music. Sometimes the nostalgia of the older music is nice. I also go through phases when I listen to the music I grew up with, as in the stuff that my parent's would listen to when I was younger, which I actually really enjoy.

This brings back memories of old school dances, and how utterly painful they were, on everyone's part. There are also memories of Video Dances we used to go to, where I socialized with a bunch of the wrong people, and had the potential to get myself into a ton of trouble but still managed to have insanely goo times. I think that was the first time I ever ground with a guy haha. It's almost embarassing to think about it now. At that point in time though, I was hanging out with people who were a couple years older, and was at a age where I was very easily influenced. I'm surprised I didn't get into more trouble than I did at that point. Although, that group did eventually lead to my first real kiss, but that's a whole other story.

Overall, I think to some degree I miss the old music. I mean yeah it still had its overly sexual themes (just thinking of What's Your Fantasy and The Bad Touch) but really, it just didn't seem as vulgar back then -shrugs- or maybe its just me being more desensitized to the newer stuff making all of this seem very, very mild.

What songs are really memorable to you guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment