Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lose Weight Fast and "You Don't Waddle As Much When You Walk" among other thing

I went home for Easter weekend, I needed the break from here. I've had papers and presentations coming at me from every direction since the last couple weeks of March, and with my last two assignments due this week, I needed to have some time to refresh my mind and come back to them with a new outlook. The break was fantastic overall, it was a rare instance where I was completely spoiled by my parents (well I shouldn't say rare, but dad hasn't worked for more than 4 months all year due to the whole GM economy plumet so it's been far and few between) and it was definitely what I needed.

I was up late Saturday night though, a few things on my mind. Mom and I had went to work to visit my cousin and some of my other friends from the establishment. I haven't seen my cousin since Grade 12, he hasn't changed. It was good to see my moms friend too, I haven't seen her since the end of August just about, maybe a couple odd times here and there when I've been out with Mom when I've been home. Now, I've been working hard since the beginning of this semester to 'get into shape' and 'lose some weight', you know the common New Years Resolution. At least for me it's stuck and hasn't been some dashed dream, even if progress has been slow and currently slightly stunted by the workload schools decided to dish out. Mom said she could tell when I saw her when I first arrived home on Friday - cool, unless she's just being a mom and trying to bring up my confidence. My moms friend sees me too and says I'm looking fitter, commenting on the areas that look slimmed down, but what's the other comment she makes? "You waddle less when you walk"... thanks... its a half compliment so I'm trying to take it for what it is, but really, could you have not said something else. If I'm huge now I hate to imagine what I looked like earlier in the year.

Now I'm sure she didn't mean it how it came out, but certain things set me off, and things like that is one of them. Later that night, as I said, I was up far too late, infomercials come onto the television. One is for a workout thing called Insanity. The company is upfront and honest, it's not going to be easy and you have to be prepared to work. Finally some honest from these money mongers. Next though, is a commercial for some piece of exercise equipment. The slogan "lose weight fast and easily". Really? Fast and Easy? I wish.

Although obesity is definitely a issues of rising concern amongst society, these companies have to stop instilling false hope. Weight is NOT something you can lose quickly, nor is it something that is 'easy' to do. The easy part about weight, for the most part is putting it on. I swear if weight was that easy to take off I'd be nothing but skin and bones right now. I try not to watch those infomercials, they generally just make me more angry than they do anything else. Give me Magic Bullet, Miracle Blade or GT Express 101 any day though haha.

With banquet and my birthday this week, it's going to be filled with thoughts of looking great for Friday. Lets see if I can keep up high hopes for my appearance.

2 comments:

  1. Red, I just found your blog, from a recommendation from Madeleine. As someone who has had the opposite weight issue, being small and thin, I do understand inappropriate comments that people make. I also know that the vast majority of physicians have very little training in how to help patients with weight issues. I hope for the best for you with your weight loss efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that many physicians don't have proper training when it comes to food and weight issues. Many times they're suggestion is just simply "diet and exercise". Don't get me wrong its great advice, but they need to take into considerations of perhaps referral to places that might help with food and weight, or that potentially they are dieting and exercising, and for some reason its failing.

    Doctors and I don't get along for that reason, but I'm slowly learning to stand my ground with it.

    Thanks for the thoughts :D

    ReplyDelete