Monday, April 26, 2010

School's Out For The Summer

Whew! 3rd year is FINALLY done! It was a long, hard, sometimes lonely year but in hindsight it was definitely rewarding. I learned a lot, about myself as a leader and just overall as a person, I grew in many ways, developed some new connections and friends, and forged even closer, deeper friendships with some of those who I knew going into the year. It also set me up with some new found courage, beyond what I had last summer.

I'm not sure how all of my exams went. I know I got an 80% one one of them, but I haven't seen any of my other marks yet. I believe they're being posted on the 30th though. It's funny though. Being home, and knowing that I'm home for 4 months without having to even think of learning and academics, I have this incessant feeling that I need to be studying or something. Maybe its a hint that I need to do some reading, for pleasure, which is something I haven't done since last August. I have a couple books on the go that I should finish. One of the books I was reading is called When Rabbit Howls by "The Troops" for Trudy Chase. It's about a woman with Dissociative Identity Disorder (when it was written though, it was before the term DID was used and these patients were referred to as having Multiple Personality Disorder). I'm so close to being done it. The other one I've been reading is a self-help book called "It's Not About Food" to work on coming out of the Eating Disorder mind set. It had some really good suggestions in it from when I was reading it before. I'm hoping to find out ways to help keep my mind on an even keel, and how to drop some of this weight without resorting to my "security blanket".

I hope to see some more changes this summer. My parents are finally starting to get serious about their own health, keeping less junk food in the house, doing more fresh cooking and dad's been trying to be a bit more physical. Mom could still use some changing however. Dad hasn't smoked since the Olympics, but she's definitely making up for what he's not smoking. But either way, this could be adventageous for me. I'm rather stoked for it. Dad's also going to fix up his one bike for me, so I can do some biking to and from work and that. I figure anything extra will help, considering I don't have access to a gym at this point in time.

I also applied for another job, and had the 'audition' (aka interview) for it today. I decided to try for the group counselor and support counselor positions at the local YMCA. It's a full time job, and I could definitely use the money and experience. I also still have my normal job at KFC, but it's only a max of 20 hours a week. Dad has been laid off for well over a year, so school this year is going to be tight, which is part of the reason I applied for this job. I've also applied at our local community living as a support worker for individuals with developmental disorders. Haven't heard back from them unfortunately.

Overall, I'm just glad to be home for the summer, although I'll miss a bunch of the people from school and can't wait to see them all again. The break is going to be nice though.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that you have a great summer. Maybe if you get the job and the YMCA you can work out there when you're not working? Having healthier food in the house can help too. I hope that you can have a successful and fun summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment :)

    I'll have to see what the perks are of the job, if I get it. The YMCA is a bit beyond my budget at this point in time, but if I get some sort of employee discount I'd be more than willing to work out there. In the mean time, tons of walking and looking at starting jogging.

    Overall, I have high hopes for this summer, just gotta hope that it works out as I for see it.

    ReplyDelete