Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why Hello There 3am

Well 3am, its funny how as this semester drew to a close, and exams are now upon me, that you and I have became best friends. It seems I'm seeing more and more of you, as I am surrounded by papers, presentations and final exams. It's not that I hold off until doing all of my assignments or studying the day before, I've just been graced with really, really crappy assignment and exam schedules. On the cover the exam schedule looks nice. 2 exams in the first week and 2 in the second week, the last two exams won't be bad, but the first 2 are in the first 3 days of the exam schedule, both of them from 7-9pm. The one today wasn't bad. I think I probably got a solid 75%, which would be fantastic, considering that I didn't even get to start to study for it until today. The one I have tomorrow (or err today, I almost forgot we're on a date, 3am) I will have spent 3 days on and still arent close to going through all the material that I need to know. Luckily I still have today to work on it. I just hope I can actually get up on time (thanks for keeping me out late, 3 am). I think today's exam probably LOOKS far more daunting than it actually is, I mean this is my first 4th year class, with a totally different format than anything I've seen before. I highly doubt I'll get all the way through the rest of the 11 journal articles I needed to review.

Courses that have a multitude of journal articles for the readings really need a midterm (no lie, this course had at least 2 20-40 page journal articles to read every week). Journal's aren't easy things to read, and the meanings can get lost in all the technical jargon. Please give us a chance to break it up a bit. Another thing, any class should have all possible marks posted BEFORE the day you write the final. This course is seminar based, and so most of the marks were based off of participation, a group facilitation and a term paper. The term paper was handed in on Friday, so I can't expect to have my grade for that going into the exam, but ALL participation marks as well as the facilitation marks should be posted. I have my participation marks, but no sight of my group facilitation grade. So essentially.... I'm going into this final knowing just what I have out of 20% of my grade. A very, very disconcerting feeling if I do say so myself. Now, the exam is only worth 25% of my mark, i've never had one be worth so little, so I'm hoping that as long as I did half decent on my facilitation and my term paper that even if I fail this final (which I have a feeling I might, but here's hoping that I dont!)

Well, 3am, it was nice seeing you again tonight. I really hope you don't ruin my day again. Overall though, I think I have to tell you that our relationship has to stop. I'm getting tired, and cranky, and dark purple circles under my eyes (which is definitely not attractive, and not helping to keep me on the self-esteem high I've been on since my birthday), and encouraging me to overeat 'to have energy to make it through these long hours'. So, that being said, I'm done ranting for the evening. G'night 3am!

2 comments:

  1. When I read the blogs of other people in college they make much of it sound like fun. I forget the really tough parts as you mention. I can tell you that it does end. I hope that you did well on your final.

    And a late Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts and words of hope :). I think the exam went alright, perhaps not my best mark (I anticipate about a 60-65% on it) but I think I completed it successfully.

    And I agree, when I hear people talk about college they just talk about the drinking, the parties and the girls/boys, never about the workload.

    ReplyDelete